CBD Recommendation Algorithm
Intro: CBD has taken the United States (and the world for that matter) by storm. With the opiate epidemic in full bloom, consumers have been searching for a way to relieve themselves of all types of ailments in a natural way.
Currently, CBD is in its infancy. Many would consider it like the “wild west.” While CBD’s popularity has gained
quite a bit of steam during the past year, there still remains the “unknown” when it comes to consumer’s figuring out, “Which is the right CBD for me?”
Reality: For the past several years, many Facebook friends have been involved in selling Rhodan & Fields makeup, Revlon, etc.). During the past 6 months, we have noticed that the climate has changed. Suddenly, the same people that were involved in makeup sales, have moved onto selling CBD products.
Unfortunately, they’re all selling CBD based strictly on word of mouth and popularity.
Issue: As it currently stands, the government has not published any type of guidance or rules as to dosing or types of CBD that would be preferential for various ailments. So, at this point, it’s merely “trial and error” when it comes to figuring out which CBD product is right for the consumer. Furthermore, after speaking to over fifty manufacturers that sell CBD products, trying to dial-in the best CBD for my ailment (various ailments as stated to the various sellers), I received the following answer from most that I spoke with… “It’s a personal preference.” While that answer might work when it comes to the type of pillow you sleep on, when consumers are putting a substance in their bodies, that answer simply won’t cut it! Hence, the need for a CBD Recommendation Algorithm.
Journal of Pharmacology & Pharmacy
A few years back, scientists in Israel documented the superior therapeutic properties of CBD-rich cannabis extract compared to single-molecule cannabidiol (CBD). While the study compared “botanical preparations” versus “pure single-molecule compounds”, the take-away point of the article for the purposes of a CBD Recommendation Algorithm, is the following (link to study below):
“Healing was only observed when CBD was given within a very limited dose range, whereas no beneficial effect was achieved at either lower or higher doses.”
This is extremely important to the reasoning behind our creation of a CBD Recommendation Algorithm.
For example, let’s say that a consumer decides to take CBD for whatever ailment they are trying to cure, by placing CBD drops underneath their tongue. First, they have to decide which dosage is best for their needs… 100mg, 300mg, 500mg, 1000mg… all the way up to 8000mg. Sure, many of those consumers will choose a dosage based on price. The higher the dosage, the more expensive.
However, according to this article, taking a dosage that’s too low, obviously won’t help. More surprisingly, taking a dosage well above what’s needed will also not help! Having an algorithm that helps the decision process is all the more important.
8 Medical Conditions that CBD can help treat
- Pain – CBD can help lower inflammation levels and pain perception. A study published in 2017 in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, suggests that CBD might be useful as a pain therapy in place of opioids.
- Anxiety & Depression – CBD can help with PTSD, generalized anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and seasonal affective disorder.
- Epilepsy – CBD can help reduce the number of seizures. (In fact, this is the one condition that the FDA has approved an oral CBD formulation for LGS (Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome) & Dravet Syndrome.
- Symptoms related to cancer treatment – The focus on CBD for cancer treatment has been for its use in reducing nausea and vomiting that often accompanies chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Researchers at the American Cancer Society have also discovered that CBD may slow the growth of cancer cells.
- Acne and other skin issues – Researchers believe that topical CBD can be a potent antiacne agent, likely due to its anti- inflammatory properties. Studies have also found that CBD can be useful for reducing the itch and inflammation associated with eczema and psoriasis.
- High Blood Pressure – Researchers in England have found that even a single dose of CBD can reduce resting blood pressure, which may ultimately reduce the risk of stroke. They concluded that the response may be due to CBD’s anxiety- reducing (anxiolytic) and pain-reducing (analgesic) effects.
- Addiction – CBD has shown a lot of promise in fighting addiction to everything from opioids and cocaine to alcohol and tobacco.
- Diabetes – The American Journal of Pathology has suggested that CBD has lowered fasting insulin levels and measures of insulin resistance.
Other ailments that consumers are purchasing CBD for
(some listed below would fall into categories mentioned on the earlier page of ailments)
–Sleep related disorders – CBD can promote relaxation and quality sleep; used as a sleep aid.
–Burning fat and reducing obesity – CBD can help lower body mass index by helping the body to burn fat.
–Promote healthier heart – CBD can help prevent arterial blockage, oxidative stress, and high blood pressure
–Arthritis – CBD has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
–Anti-Spasmodic – CBD can help suppress muscle spasms.
–Bone stimulant – CBD can help promote bone growth.
–Anti-Psychotic – CBD can be tranquilizing in treating psychosis.
–Neuroprotective – CBD can protect nervous system degeneration.
–Intestinal Anti-Prokinetic – CBD can reduce contractions in the small intestine.
–Nausea & Vomiting – CBD can reduce symptoms of nausea and vomiting (in not only cancer patients).
CBD for Pets
Considering that Consumers consider their Pets as their children, it is important to cover “CBD for Pets” in our algorithm.
Benefits of CBD for Pets:
- Reduces anxiety, fears & depression – keep our pets relaxed and calm from separation anxiety, fear of thunder, fireworks, etc.
- Helps with arthritis and joint pain – helps with inflammation and mobility issues; especially as our pets age.
- Help animals battling cancer – while not a cure for cancer, CBD can reduce pain, increase appetite and stop seizures.
- Help with glaucoma – helps to keep ocular pressure normalized and prevent further issues.
- Reduce aggressive behavior – CBD can help pets stay calm and not get triggered in certain situations.
- Treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- Improve coat and skin conditions.
- Help with nausea.
- Help with seizures or epilepsy.